Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Butterfly

In the premier of my youthful age, I was rather supposed to be proud of the stage. But little as I was back then, I still had a mind for the best of what I could obtain. In those epic and very wondrous years of my metamorphosis, I became quite fed up with the whole process. If it were you, I know you would feel the same. In fact, you might have even felt more shame. Agreed, growing up should be fun and all that but…it really wasn’t that easy because, for me as a worm, all I had to do was eat the green leaves around and hope that someday I would eventually spread my wings and fly. But it just didn’t seem feasible enough for me. I often wondered to myself if all the fancy and beautiful butterflies I see around ever passed through the same stage I was presently passing through. A lot of things went on in my mind and in response to my ardent desire for answers, Heaven sent me a word through Wisdom that appeared as a little white dove. Now, mama told me to stay off strangers but somehow, he looked like me and I would have considered that thought as a stupid one until He spoke up and said;
“thou son of man, why do you complain saying my cause is disregarded by my God? Do not be afraid, o worm Jacob, o little Israel, for I myself will help you…”
In that moment, I became rather mesmerized by the awareness of His dazzling white and radiant presence that I began to tremble. Indeed I was as one that was dead and even thought that he might as well eat me up. Rather, he called my name and I looked up to see a very strange looking leaf stretched towards me and He said;
“that which is set before you, take it and eat it. It will turn your stomach sour but in your mouth, it will be as sweet as honey”
I took it and ate and He went on to say;
“I once was a man like you. You’re the apple of my eyes. I see what you see and my glory today can be traceable to those times on earth that I sat and understood by books and the Book. You must have heard of the impact I made in just three years after my 30 years of growth and preparation. I’ll advise you to stick to your vision which won’t lie.”
He then turned to go and before I called out after him saying “but who are you Lord?”, he was already out of sight. I however heard His lovely voice from deep within me saying “I am that I am”.
Today, I stand as a young butterfly to testify that those times of hard work paid off and though it wasn’t easy, it was worth it. Surely, sometimes, feeding on the Word and study may be tiresome but it makes all the difference between who you are and who you should be.
Friends, don’t give up the struggle. Feed on, read on and move on. You will make it. I have to fly now. See you at the top.

Copyright © Bayor Martins, Winter 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment